Menu, Music, and Movie
Thanks to the culinary skills of Lady Lawanda, she, Prodigal, and I1 dined last night on a special themed menu that featured Totally Drunken Chicken and Mojito Cupcakes (pictured above).
Note that this is not your ordinary “Drunken Chicken” found at the local Chinese eatery nor does it have anything to do with a can of beer No, this is your really soused, snockered, bad example for the children, DUI (Dining Under the Influence) Totally Drunken Chicken. AKA Mucho Boracho Pollo, devised, according to the Chicago Tribune article, When the wives are away, the guys will saute by one
Jason Brett of Glenview [who] is a theater guy. He learned to cook out of necessity and developed a passion for it along the way. He’s making mucho boracho pollo, a spicy grilled chicken in a tequila reduction with mango salsa.
Yep, we paired a recipe from a hard core vegan cooking site with a recipe for liquored up chicken. Our contention is that if God didn’t want us to eat animals, he wouldn’t have made them out of meat.
Our beverage of choice for this repast? Crystal Lite lemonade, of course.
I can attest, with Lady Lawanda and The Prodigal concurring, that the chicken is a delight and that, as we say back home, Jason done good. Cupcakes are a tad on the sweet side for me (especially if my internist reads this blog), but my co-conspirators for the evening assure me they are dandy and worthy of a Heck of a Guy recommendation as well.
Background music was culled from the summer vacation playlist and is skewed toward C&W tunes, including
- It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere – Alan Jackson & Jimmy Buffett
- Tequila Makes Her Clothes Fall Off – Joe Nichols
- Jose Cuervo – Lindy Gravelle
- Whiskey Girl - Toby Keith
- Ten Rounds With Jose Cuervo – Tracy Byrd
- Was I? – Madeleine Peyroux
- Whiskey River – Willie Nelson
- Drinking Wine Spo-Dee O’Dee – Jerry Lee Lewis
- Margaritaville - Jimmy Buffet
After dinner entertainment, provided by Prodigal, was the classic Jackie Chan martial arts movie:
- Mesomorph was working [↩]
- Totally Drunken Chicken
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Marinating time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 266 calories, 38% of calories from fat, 11 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 82 mg cholesterol, 11 g carbohydrates, 30 g protein, 217 mg sodium, 1 g fiber
8 chicken breast halves, skin on
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup each: tequila, lime juice
1/4 cup each: chopped cilantro, olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 mangoes, pitted, sliced
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, minced
2 tablespoons each: chopped cilantro, lime juice, tequila
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
Juice of 1 lime
1. Combine chicken with garlic, tequila, lime juice, cilantro, olive oil and salt in a large food storage bag. Seal; turn and press to coat chicken. Set aside 45 minutes. (Refrigerate if marinating any longer than 1 hour.)
2. For salsa, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside 30 minutes.
3. Prepare grill for indirect medium heat. Remove chicken from marinade; discard the marinade. Grill chicken, skin side down first, then turning as needed, until cooked through, about 30 minutes. Serve with salsa. [↩]