The Other Leonard Cohen Album
Update: The cover story of the November 2011 issue of Uncut magazine, 50 Greatest Bootlegs, lists “Other Leonard Cohen Album” at #24. For more information, see “The Other Leonard Cohen Album” Ranks #24 On UNCUT’s 50 Greatest Bootlegs
As noted in The New Leonard Cohen Album – “Forthcoming”, Leonard Cohen fans have awaited a new album of his songs since Dear Heather was released in 2004.
But, Leonard Cohen has been and continues to be a busy fellow, what with the Perpetual World Tour and all, and he also has been and continues to be a perfectionist.
DrHGuy, on the other hand, has no responsibility for a World Tour and, as anyone who has read this blog knows, is certainly no perfectionist. Consequently, he has once again stepped in to lift a bit of the burden from the fashionably clad shoulders of the heroic but harried singer-songwriter icon.
Just as DrHGuy has routinely constructed images of Leonard Cohen performing various activities rather than inconveniencing the Master Of Erotic Despair1 with the time-consuming formalities of first affirmatively responding to a request that he pose for such photos and then actually fulfilling such assignments, …
… DrHGuy has constructed The Other Songs Of Leonard Cohen (AKA, The Other Leonard Cohen Album2 ), a collection of hitherto unreleased Cohen songs,3 rather than nag the Jeremiah Of Tin Pan Alley4 to complete a new album.
Consequently, Heck Of A Guy is pleased to offer The Other Leonard Cohen Album.
Track List: The Other Leonard Cohen Album, Vol 1
Links are shown to Heck Of A Guy posts, if available, with further information regarding the specific song.
- Feels So Good (The Other Blues Song) -Live, Durham, NC (11/3/2009)
- Book Of Longing – KCRW (June 24, 2006)
- The Darkness – Live, Las Vegas (11/12/2009)
- Puppets – KCRW (June 24, 2006)
Lullaby – Live, Grand Prairie, Texas (4/3/2009)5
- Do I Have to Dance All Night6 – Live, Amsterdam (1980)
- Blues By The Jews – L Cohen Rare Songs (Live 1979)
Track List: The Other Leonard Cohen Album, Vol 2
Links are shown to Heck Of A Guy posts, if available, with further information regarding a specific song.
- Red River Valley – Cohen Rare Live Songs (1976-88)
- Never Got To Love You (Duet with Anjani) - Live, Program Trzeci Polskiego Radia (3/31/2007)
- Can’t Help Falling In Love - Rare Live Songs II
- Ride Around - L Cohen Rare Songs (Live, 1979)
- The Union Makes Us Strong – Rare Songs, Live -England (1979)
- We Shall Not Be Moved - Live, Israel (1972)
- To Love Somebody - Eppelheim 1980
- The Hypnotist – Blossoms Of Heaven, Ashes Of Hell – Zurich Disc 2 (5/21/1993)
- Chelsea Hotel #1 - Live, Israel (1972)
- There’s No Reason Why You Should Remember Me - Complete BBC 2 Broadcast (1968)
- Streets Of Laredo – Rare Songs, Live -England (1979)
- Do I Have To Dance All Night7 - Do I Have To Dance All Night (single 1976)
Cover Art For The Other Leonard Cohen Album
The album art atop this post is, of course, based on Leonard Cohen’s first album, Songs Of Leonard Cohen.
Download & Play The Other Leonard Cohen Album
Update: Because some MP3 files had corrupted tags, new files with the correct track numbers, art work, and album names were uploaded 10:45 PM, February 12, 2010. If you have problems with the order of the tracks or the names of the albums and downloaded the files prior to 10:45 PM, February 12, 2010, please try downloading these again. A second revision, which replaced “Do I Have To Dance All Night (1976)” in Vol 1 and “To Love Somebody” in Vol 2 with higher quality recordings of those same songs, was completed March 7, 2010.
1. Right-click on the following links and then choose “Open link in new window” or “Open link in new tab” to open the download service pages in new windows or tabs (left clicking on the links may open the download service pages in this same window; in that case, click the “Back” arrow on your browser to return to this post):
2. On the download service pages that open, click on this image:
3. Unzip (extract) the downloaded files, TOLCA1.zip and TOLCA2.zip. Each zip file will produce a group of MP3 files corresponding to the tracks on that volume.
4. The files can be used in iPods and other MP3 players. The files from each volume can also be burned onto an audio CD.
Update: A second compilation of unreleased Leonard Cohen songs is now available at Presenting Another Other Leonard Cohen Album
- “Master Of Erotic Despair” is one of Mr. Cohen’s many aliases. See Leonard Cohen, AKA … – The Nicknames [↩]
- The name, The Other Leonard Cohen Album, is derived from The Other Blues Song. See How Leonard Cohen’s “The Other Blues Song” Got That Name [↩]
- The sole exception is the 1976 version of “Do I Have To Dance All Night,” which was released as a 45 rpm single marketed only in Europe. [↩]
- Yep, “Jeremiah Of Tin Pan Alley” is another nickname. Once again, see Leonard Cohen, AKA … – The Nicknames [↩]
- “Lullaby” removed at request of copyright holder [↩]
- See also 1980 Do I Have To Dance All Night Video [↩]
- See also 1976 Do I Have To Dance All Night Video [↩]