Leonard Cohen Sings “Hallelujah” To Bob Dylan
It’s a rather joyous song . I like very much the last verse. I remember singin’ it to Bob Dylan after his last concert in Paris. The morning after, I was having coffee with him and we traded lyrics. Dylan especially liked this last verse “And even though it all went wrong, I stand before the Lord of song With nothing on my lips but Hallelujah
- Leonard Cohen, from 1985 interview published in Paroles et Musiques
Dylan went on to be one of the first artists to cover “Hallelujah,” performing it twice in his 1988 concert tour.
Of course, no post about Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, and “Hallelujah” would be complete without the anecdote, a classic in Cohen’s repertoire, about the contrast in the time required by Dylan and Cohen to compose a song. The story appears in several Cohen interviews. The following iteration is from Leonard Cohen, Los Angeles 1992, a section of “Songwriters On Songwriting” by Paul Zollo:
That ["Hallelujah"] was a song that took me [Leonard Cohen] a long time to write. Dylan and I were having coffee the day after his concert in Paris a few years ago and he was doing that song in concert. And he asked me how long it took to write it. And I told him a couple of years. I lied actually. It was more than a couple of years.
Then I praise a song of his, “I and I,” and asked him how long it had taken and he said, “Fifteen minutes.” [Laughter]
This video of Dylan covering “Hallelujah” appeared on YouTube yesterday with an audio track purported to be a live version of a 1987 Dylan performance. (While the YouTube introduction lists the date of performance as 1987, other sources agree with Wikipedia that Dylan first covered “Hallelujah” in concert in Montreal on 8 July 1988.) The cover also appears on “A Legend in His Time,” a collection of Dylan rarities, live tracks and outtakes.
Bob Dylan – Hallelujah
Update: As can be seen above, the live version of Dylan’s “Hallelujah” has been removed for copyright violations. I’ve added an audio version of the same performance below as an admittedly inadequate replacement.
Bob Dylan …canta Hallelujah di cohen
Video from Cristina1940
Other Bob Dylan Posts At Heck Of A Guy
- The Leonard Cohen-Bob Dylan Thematic Nexus: Lost In The Rages Of Fragrance
- Bob Dylan’s “Play It Fucking Loud” – A Classic Moment In Rock And Roll
- Bob Dylan & Bette Midler “Buckets Of Rain” Recording Sessions – New York 1975
- Bob Dylan’s Theme Time Radio Hour Archives
- Best Bootlegs Bonus: Pre-Fame Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen Recordings
- Best Bootlegs: Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash 1969
- Dylan’s “I And I” Is On Leonard Cohen’s Jukebox
- Bob Dylan’s “Tangled Up In Blue” Is On Leonard Cohen’s Jukebox