1. Chevrolet in “Democracy”
It’s coming from the silence
on the dock of the bay,
from the brave, the bold, the battered
heart of Chevrolet:
Democracy is coming to the U.S.A.
2. Wendy’s “Where’s The Beef” in “Closing Time”
Ah we’re lonely, we’re romantic
and the cider’s laced with acid
and the Holy Spirit’s crying, “Where’s the beef?”
3. Johnny Walker in “Closing Time”
Ah we’re drinking and we’re dancing
and the band is really happening
and the Johnny Walker wisdom running high
So we struggle and we stagger
down the snakes and up the ladder
to the tower where the blessed hours chime
5. Rolls Royce in “Elvis’s Rolls Royce”3
I got a little nervous
I think I lost my poise
As we crossed the great Atlantic
In Elvis’s Rolls Royce
6 & 7 (tie). KY Jelly and Vaseline in “Is This What You Wanted”
You were K.Y. Jelly,
I was Vaseline.
8. Mr. Clean in “Is This What You Wanted”
You were the father of modern medicine,
I was Mr. Clean.
9. Coca-Cola in “Field Commander Cohen”
Drinkin´ rum and Coca-Cola. Go down Point Koomahnah.
Both mother and daughter. Working for the Yankee dollar.
- Known as “Chutes and Ladders” in the United States [↩]
- See Down The Snakes And Up The Ladder With Leonard Cohen [↩]
- See Elvis’s Rolls Royce – Another Leonard Cohen Song That You Have (Probably) Never Heard [↩]