The 2011 Leonard Cohen Calendar: April
The above graphic (click on image for best viewing) displays the April offering from the 2011 Leonard Cohen Calendar Project.1 All previously published calendars can be found at Leonard Cohen Calendar Project. Monthly calendar offerings are made available for download during the last half of the preceding month.
Leonard Cohen Calendar Pertinent Dates:2 April 2011
- 4/2/2009: Concert Premiere Of Lullaby- Austin TX
- 4/17/2009: World Tour Concert At Coachella Festival
4/19/1988: I’m Your Man Album ReleasedUpdate 23 March 2011: Revision; see footnote3
- 4/19/1972: Tel Aviv, Israel Concert
- 4/30/1967: LC Pro Singing Debut With Judy Collins – SANE Against Vietnam War Concert At NYC Town Hall
- 4/1969: Songs From A Room Album Released4
The Photo: April 2011
The exquisite photo of Leonard Cohen performing in Dublin in 1979 was taken by and used with the permission of Armando Fusco (flickr name Rhymin’ Simon). Heck Of A Guy was privileged to be the first site to post this set of shots from that concert at Leonard Cohen Photo Flashback – Dublin 1979 and Previously Unpublished Photos From 1979 Leonard Cohen Dublin Performance.
Download And Print April 2011 Leonard Cohen Calendar
Note: Beginning with this April 2011 calendar, the download file will be available only in JPG format. This decision is solely a consequence of the fact that the PDF format offered previously was rarely downloaded. Viewers who prefer the download in PDF format should email Heck Of A Guy; if there is sufficient demand, the PDF format will be reinstituted.
1. Right-click on the link below and then choose “Open link in new window” or “Open link in new tab” to open the download service pages in new windows or tabs (left clicking on the links may open the download service pages in this same window; in that case, click the “Back” arrow on your browser to return to this post):
2. On the download service pages that open, click on this image:
The calendar portion of the image has blue accents with the events in blue text and holidays in red text, all of which show up, of course, as black when printed in black in white. This month’s photo is in black and white.
Opening the JPG file produces an image that should print as-is on a standard (American) 8.5″ X 11″ sheet of paper with a standard laser or ink-jet printer with standard margins and settings by selecting “File – Print” or hitting “Control + P.” [Let's pause here to allow for mordant snickering.] Your mileage may vary and adjustments may be necessary. All future calendars will be configured in the same format so once the settings on your printer with your paper produce the desired result, those settings should also work in the future.
Previously Published Leonard Cohen Calendar Project Monthly Postings
All published calendars can be found at Leonard Cohen Calendar Project._____________________
- Each month the 2011 Leonard Cohen Calendar Project features a photo and annotated dates pertinent to Leonard Cohen. [↩]
- “Pertinent Dates” is a deliberately ambiguous category operationally defined as dates I find that seem important or interesting relative to Leonard Cohen. The current plan calls for the calendar to include major Jewish holidays but not national or other religious holidays. This is a pragmatic decision; a calendar that listed all Jewish, Catholic, Buddhist, Canadian, and American holidays would be overwhelming. Compiling this list is proving no simple task; readers are urged to recommend Cohen-pertinent dates by email or in the comments. [↩]
- The release date of Leonard Cohen’s I’m Your Man album is given on various sites as 19 April 1988 and as February 1988. After considerable research, I am now convinced that February 1988 is the correct date of release. Consequently, the 19 April 1988 commemoration has been removed from the calendar as of today, 23 March 2011 [↩]
- For some albums, such as Songs From A Room, references provide only the month and year of release [↩]