We’re #24, We’re #24, We’re #24, …
Yep, DrHGuy has been whipped into a self-congratulatory frenzy by the news that “The 50 Greatest Bootlegs,” the cover story in the most recent UNCUT magazine (Issue 174 November 2011), lists The Other Leonard Cohen Album, the Heck Of A Guy compilation of unpublished Leonard Cohen songs, at #24.
And, DrHGuy cannot resist pointing out, this ranking is further attestation to the high value musically knowledgeable individuals (as well as DrHGuy) place on Leonard Cohen’s performances – even when those performances fail to meet the Canadian singer-songwriter’s criteria for releasing tracks to the public.
By the way, perpetual favorite Smile by The Beach Boys (1967) captured the #1 spot on UNCUT’s Greatest Bootleg list.
Update: The review of The Other Leonard Cohen Album as well as the complete list of the 50 Greatest Bootlegs published in Uncut magazine (Issue 174 November 2011) can now be viewed.“The Other Leonard Cohen Album” fits quite comfortably, thank you, just below 23. Van Morrison – Van The Man and just above 25. Blur – Parklife Deluxe Bootleg. See Uncut Reviews The Other Leonard Cohen Album
The Other Leonard Cohen Album
Given that The Other Leonard Cohen Album was first posted in January 2010, the most appropriate celebration of this event would seem to be a recapitulation of the contents of the bootleg and the directions for downloading for those readers who may have joined our merry band too recently to be aware of this compilation.
The Other Songs Of Leonard Cohen (aka The Other Leonard Cohen Album1 ), is a collection of hitherto unreleased Cohen songs,2 DrHGuy constructed rather than nag the Jeremiah Of Tin Pan Alley3 to complete that new album that is now due in Spring 2012.
Track List: The Other Leonard Cohen Album, Vol 1
Links are shown to Heck Of A Guy posts, if available, with further information regarding the specific song.
- Feels So Good (The Other Blues Song) -Live, Durham, NC (11/3/2009)
- Book Of Longing – KCRW (June 24, 2006)
- The Darkness – Live, Las Vegas (11/12/2009)
- Puppets – KCRW (June 24, 2006)
- Lullaby – Live, Grand Prairie, Texas (4/3/2009)
- Do I Have to Dance All Night4 – Live, Amsterdam (1980)
- Blues By The Jews – L Cohen Rare Songs (Live 1979)
Track List: The Other Leonard Cohen Album, Vol 2
Links are shown to Heck Of A Guy posts, if available, with further information regarding a specific song.
- Red River Valley – Cohen Rare Live Songs (1976-88)
- Never Got To Love You (Duet with Anjani) – Live, Program Trzeci Polskiego Radia (3/31/2007)
- Can’t Help Falling In Love – Rare Live Songs II
- Ride Around – L Cohen Rare Songs (Live, 1979)
- The Union Makes Us Strong – Rare Songs, Live -England (1979)
- We Shall Not Be Moved – Live, Israel (1972)
- To Love Somebody – Eppelheim 1980
- The Hypnotist – Blossoms Of Heaven, Ashes Of Hell – Zurich Disc 2 (5/21/1993)
- Chelsea Hotel #1 – Live, Israel (1972)
- There’s No Reason Why You Should Remember Me – Complete BBC 2 Broadcast (1968)
- Streets Of Laredo – Rare Songs, Live -England (1979)
- Do I Have To Dance All Night5 – Do I Have To Dance All Night (single 1976)
Cover Art For The Other Leonard Cohen Album
The album art atop this post is, of course, based on Leonard Cohen’s first album, Songs Of Leonard Cohen.
Download & Play The Other Leonard Cohen Album
1. Right-click on the following links and then choose “Open link in new window” or “Open link in new tab” to open the download service pages in new windows or tabs (left clicking on the links may open the download service pages in this same window; in that case, click the “Back” arrow on your browser to return to this post):
2. On the download service pages that open, this image will appear:
3. Unzip (extract) the downloaded files, TOLCA1.zip and TOLCA2.zip. Each zip file will produce a group of MP3 files corresponding to the tracks on that volume.
4. The files can be used in iPods and other MP3 players. The files from each volume can also be burned onto an audio CD.
Note: A second compilation of unreleased Leonard Cohen songs is also available at Presenting Another Other Leonard Cohen Album
Credit Due Department: DrHGuy was alerted to UNCUT’s ranking of The Other Leonard Cohen Album by David Curless._____________________
- The name, The Other Leonard Cohen Album, is derived from The Other Blues Song. See How Leonard Cohen’s “The Other Blues Song” Got That Name [↩]
- The sole exception is the 1976 version of “Do I Have To Dance All Night,” which was released as a 45 rpm single marketed only in Europe. [↩]
- Yep, “Jeremiah Of Tin Pan Alley” is another nickname. See Leonard Cohen, AKA … – The Nicknames [↩]
- See also 1980 Do I Have To Dance All Night Video [↩]
- See also 1976 Do I Have To Dance All Night Video [↩]