Here Today – Gone To Maui
DrHGuy and The Duchess are indeed departing for the sun-drenched shores of Kaanapali Beach to celebrate their nuptials.1 One consequence of this event is that both the Heck Of A Guy and DrHGuy sites will be dormant until our return in February.2 While The Duchess and DrHGuy are wild for Leonard Cohen, it is, as they say in those post-calculus math courses, intuitively apparent that the marriage would be best served by DrHGuy attending to the business at hand (make your own joke) rather than pounding out posts.
That does not, however, mean that matters Cohen will be entirely forgotten in the next week or two. In fact, this occasion had led to another installment of Cohenphilic Personality Disorder symptoms. That’s right, …
You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …3
When packing for your your honeymoon in Maui, you find yourself thinking
- Is it enough to take two iPods filled with every song Leonard Cohen has performed plus all the songs recorded by his backup singers as well as a significant fraction of the 2000+ covers of Cohen’s music – or do we also pack the Complete Columbia Album Collection CD set, just in case?
- How likely is it that there is a hula danced to “Sisters Of Mercy?”
- If Leonard had been raised in Lahaina instead of Montreal, would his imagery and tone have been different? Instead of “You see I’m just another snowman / Standing in the rain and sleet.,” would it have been “You see I’m just another surfer / Catching a few rays and waves?” Instead of “Avalanche,” would he have written a song called “Brief Period Of Showers This Morning With Sunshine Returning By Noon?” Instead of “The Guests,” would it have been “The Tourists?” Would there have been a song about his “Famous Blue Swim Trunks?” Would those audiences in Dublin have sung along with “Aloha, Marianne?” How about “First We Take Koolaupoko?”
- What sort of lei goes best with a black suit and fedora?
- How would Anjani’s family feel about fans dropping in to say Thanks For The Dance?
- Is there any bad karma left from the cancelled 2010 concert?
- What are the chances that an Hawaiian slack key guitar band taking requests will know “Do I Have To Dance All Night?”
- What size t-shirt does Leonard wear?
Credit Due Department: The Just Maui’d photo is from J.J. Preston’s Photo Gallery.
All previously posted You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If … entries can be found at
You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If …
- For DrHGuy, this is a case of third marriage, first honeymoon. [↩]
- Yes, that means Heck Of A Guy will be closed when the Old Ideas album is released in the US. By the time the release dates were made public, the airline and hotel reservations had been made. Once again, we all suffer when NOBODY TELLS DRHGUY NOTHIN’. [↩]
- All previously posted You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If … entries can be found at You May Be A Leonard Cohen Fan If … [↩]