Leonard Cohen To Play Bass Hall Oct 31 & Nov 1, 2012
Sixth Concert Added To 2012 Tour In Past 2 Weeks
A second Austin concert has been added to the 2012 Leonard Cohen Old Ideas World Tour, which already included an October 31, 2012 stop at Bass Concert Hall. The second 2012 Austin concert is scheduled for November 1.1 Tickets go on sale on June 8. The official announcement notes there will be a Forum presale on June 5, 2012.
The November 1st Austin concert is the sixth show added to the 2012 Leonard Cohen Old Ideas World Tour since May 21, 2012:
- Dublin – Sept 15 (added May 21, 2012)
- Montreal – Nov 29 (added May 22, 2012)
- Toronto – Dec 5 (added May 28, 2012)
- Bucharest – Sept 22 (added May 30, 2012)
- Boston – Dec 16 (added June 4, 2012)
As can be seen, multiple changes have been made in the 2012 Leonard Cohen Old Ideas World Tour schedule. For the current schedule, see LeonardCohenFiles 2012 Tour.
This Won’t Be Leonard Cohen’s First Rodeo In Austin
Leonard Cohen’s April 1, 2009 Austin concert, which opened the US leg of the previous Leonard Cohen World Tour,2 was also the first public performance of “Lullaby.” Striking photos from that show, such as the above shot by Laura Lea Nalle, as well as a review of the performance can be found at Leonard Cohen In The Eyes Of Texas.
Leonard Cohen’s performance on the October 31, 1988 episode of Austin City Limits, routinely designated as his “first major performance on American television,” can be viewed at Improved Version Of 1988 Leonard Cohen Austin City Limits Show Online,3
Leonard Cohen concerts also took place in Austin on Nov 1, 1988 (Opry House), and July 11, 1993 (The Back Yard).4
- It would be unseemly for DrHGuy to comment on the rumor that the new Austin concert has been scheduled on November 1st to commemorate his birthday. In any case, there are alternative explanations – Mr Cohen could, for example, be celebrating All Saints’ Day, which also takes place on the first day of the eleventh month. By the way, Leonard, please let Kezban know that I prefer an apple or carrot cake. [↩]
- As noted in the Heck Of A Guy post, Leonard Cohen Rumored To Open US Tour In Austin, published January 21, 2009, weeks before the official announcement. [↩]
- Cohen also performed on the July 12, 1993 Austin City Limits show which is less accessible. [↩]
- Is This What You Wanted by Jim Devlin [↩]