1. With a minimum of promotion (compared to the Old Ideas sales campaign), Leonard Cohen’s Popular Problems Album is – well, it’s popular.
It’s at least popular enough to rank #1 in sales on today’s Amazon Album-Oriented Rock list. That’s in the US. On the Canadian Amazon site, Popular Problems is #1 in Music. Update: See Leonard Cohen’s Popular Problems Album – Updated Amazon Sales Ranking
2. The early reviews are positive. The best of the lot so far is Leonard Cohen’s Popular Problems is a portrait of the artist in his joyful late period by Bernard Zuel (The Age: Sept 12, 2014). Of course, I also suggest my own notes:
- Notes On Leonard Cohen’s Popular Problems Album: Tracks 1-4
- Notes On Leonard Cohen’s Popular Problems Album: Tracks 5-9
3. Credits: The Leonard Cohen-Patrick Leonard collaboration accounts for most of the songs of the album. Anjani Thomas is credited, along with Cohen, on A Street and Born In Chains is credited to Cohen alone. The only member of the Tour band who plays on the album is Alex Bublitchi. The backup singers are Dana Glover (who also sang on the Old Ideas album) and Charlean Carmon.
4. There is the prospect of another album. Rolling Stone reports:
Cohen and Leonard say they have “half of another record finished,”
5. There may or may not be a Tour promoting Popular Problems. As I reported on our conversation in early August:
At one point, Leonard responded to a comment I made about the wonders of his doing concerts lasting more than three hours with “We’ll have to do that again.”
Being the intrepid blogger I am, I prompted “So, there’s going to be another tour?”
Without hesitation, Leonard Cohen leaned forward, flashed his grandest smile, and immediately replied in a firm, clear voice, “Maybe.”
Not satisfied with that equivocation, I pushed forward with “Is that a definite maybe?”
Leonard smiled again, answering “A tour is a definite maybe.”
I countered with “Well, you have to do something. Your retirements haven’t been very successful.”
Now that Rolling Stone and Billboard report that Leonard Cohen commented that the road is “beckoning,” the prospect of a tour has risen to – a definite maybe.
6. You can listen to the full album next week. ICIMusique.ca has announced they will broadcast the nine songs from Leonard Cohen’s Popular Problem album from 16 to 23 September, a week before its official release, on ICIMusique.ca and cbcmusic.ca.Update: See How To Listen To Leonard Cohen’s Popular Problems Album The Week Before Its Release